The Hellenic Oceanographers’ Association (HOA) was founded in 1986 and is active in the field of oceanographic research and works on issues which relate to the marine environment. HOA is a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization.
According to the statute of HOA, members are individuals who bear a university or postgraduate degree in Oceanography or relevant fields. HOA accounts approximately 500 members, several of whom have long presence in the field of Marine Sciences at national and international level; their contribution to scientific issues, research studies and coastal areas monitoring has been established through their long- time involvement in the field.
The main objectives of HOA are;
- The promotion, development and dissemination of oceanographic science
- The promotion, enhancement and establishment of oceanographic studies in Greece
- The safeguarding and distinction of the professional rights of researchers,
- The cooperation with the state and other Public and Private actors who are active in the Marine environment aspiring to provide solutions to arising problems and contribute to the effective protection and management in the context of sustainable development
- The provision of information, education and raising of public awareness on issues relating to the coastal and marine environment as well as others which are of grave importance for Greece.
The main activities of HOA are listed below:
- Cooperation with educators in the framework of Environmental Education Programmes, aiming to urge and equip educators to become systematically involved in the marine environment. HOA considers Environmental Education highly important as it can contribute to changing the attitude of the society and students in particular towards the marine environment, having the effective protection and management of the Greek waters as the ultimate goal.
- Providing information and raising public awareness relating to coastal and marine environment, such as the organisation of conferences focused on current and chronic problems.
- Organisation of lectures/ conferences on Marine Sciences with the participation of Institutions, Research Institutes, Public Services, Public and State actors who are involved in the marine environment.
- Establishment of a Committee working on Issues relating to the Environment and Environmental Education which operates in the framework of HOA and cooperates with Universities, Institutes and other actors for the promotion of programmes on the qualification of educators and the production of educational material. Some of these programmes were implemented whereas others are in progress. Additionally, members of the committee assist schools in the implementation of Environmental Education programmes.
- Intervention in public and policy making actors on issues relating to marine and coastal waters.
- Organisation and implementation – in cooperation with the Postgraduate Course in Oceanography of the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens – of Educational Mobility Seminars on the marine environment addressing teachers of Secondary Education.
- Raising awareness through the media and collaboration with other environmental organizations and associations.
- Participation in national and international conferences, festivals, exhibitions on the marine and coastal environment.