The main objectives of HOA are listed below:
- Cooperation with educators in the framework of Environmental Education Programmes, aiming to urge and equip educators to become systematically involved in the marine environment. HOA considers Environmental Education highly important as it can contribute to changing the attitude of the society and students in particular towards the marine environment, having the effective protection and management of the Greek waters as the ultimate goal.
- Providing information and raising public awareness relating to coastal and marine environment, such as the organization of conferences focused on current and chronic problems.
- Organization of lectures/ conferences on Marine Sciences with the participation of Institutions, Research Institutes, Public Services, Public and State actors who are involved in the marine environment.
- Establishment of a Committee working on Issues relating to the Environment and Environmental Education which operates in the framework of HOA and cooperates with Universities, Institutes and other actors for the promotion of programmes on the qualification of educators and the production of educational material. Some of these programmes were implemented whereas others are in progress. Additionally, members of the committee assist schools in the implementation of Environmental Education programmes.
- Intervention in public and policy making actors on issues relating to marine and coastal waters.
- Organization and implementation – in cooperation with the Postgraduate Course in Oceanography of the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens – of Educational Mobility Seminars on the marine environment addressing teachers of Secondary Education.
- Raising awareness through the media and collaboration with other environmental organizations and associations.
- Participation in national and international conferences, festivals, exhibitions on the marine and coastal environment.